News June 4, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information RSF_en to go further Receive email alerts FranceEurope – Central Asia News Reporters Without Borders welcome’s today’s decision by a court in the southern city of Toulouse to acquit TV reporter Isabelle Cottenceau of inciting a teenage youth to allow himself to be suspended from body piercings in his back.In March, prosecutors requested a suspended six-month prison sentence and fine of at least 3,000 euros for Cottenceau on a criminal charge of “complicity in an act of violence” for filming the preparations for the so-called “suspension,” as the practice is called in the body-piercing subculture.“We are relieved by Cottenceau’s acquittal, which was a sensible decision,” Reporters Without Borders said. “But one should not forget that she should never have been brought to trial for doing her job as a reporter. France must be more vigilant in its defence of press freedom.”Cottenceau filmed the youth for a 28-minute documentary entitled “Tattoos and piercings – they risks their skins” that was broadcast by the M6 TV channel in its “Forbidden Zone” programme series on 8 October 2006.The decision to prosecute Cottenceau raises many questions. The prosecutors accused her of encouraging the youth although the actual “suspension” was not shown in the documentary, although she asked his mother why she was giving her permission and although she repeatedly insisted during the programme on the health risks involved in piercings and tattoos.A handwritten document in which the mother gave her permission was not included in the case file despite repeated requests by the defence. The document’s date proved that the youth had already decided to do the “suspension” before being contacted by Cottenceau. The mother was not questioned on this matter during the hearing either.The decision to prosecute sets a dangerous precedent for broadcast journalists who want to cover activities that could be illegal. According to the logic of the Toulouse prosecutors, any journalists covering drugs, prostitution or clandestine immigration are liable to be treated as criminals themselves.Journalists have a duty to report what they discover to the public. In France, their activities are regulated by legislation, above all by an 1881 press law. Journalists cannot be accused of responsibility for – or complicity in – the illegal activities that they witness in the course of their reporting. News Organisation “We’ll hold Ilham Aliyev personally responsible if anything happens to this blogger in France” RSF says June 2, 2021 Find out more May 12, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 TV reporter cleared of inciting teenager in body piercing “suspension” News Follow the news on France RSF denounces Total’s retaliation against Le Monde for Myanmar story Use the Digital Services Act to make democracy prevail over platform interests, RSF tells EU FranceEurope – Central Asia May 10, 2021 Find out more
“Immediately after the lockdown, a lot of local guests had the need to stay in nature and engage in physical activities that may never have happened before. In this sense, covid has had a positive impact and we hope that we have gained some new customers, because we will have to strengthen the domestic market as a base.”, Said the president of the Association of Adventure Tourism of the Croatian Chamber of Commerce Iva Bencun, adding that active and adventure tourism takes place more in the off-season and in that sense good results in July and August did not mean much to some. “In addition to resolving liquidity bridging assets for which many members have not yet received HAMAG and HBOR solutions, and applications have been pending since May, or have received automatic rejections because they are marked as a very risky activity as agencies, we hope for targeted grants for further development and promotion, as well as the reduction of tickets for national parks and nature parks for programs organized by Croatian agencies”, Says Bencun. The corona crisis has had consequences for the adventure tourism segment, the structure of guests has changed in favor of domestic tourists, and destinations that do not depend on air traffic, such as the northern Adriatic and the continent, are significantly less affected, the Croatian Chamber of Commerce Adventure Tourism Council concluded. Also, entrepreneurs in adventure tourism are convinced that this segment of the offer will become one of the basic products of domestic tourism, with the help of targeted support for further development and promotion. Bencun points out that the new rules of conduct imposed by the crown, such as social distance and spending time outdoors, go hand in hand with adventure tourism, as well as camping or boating. He sees this as an opportunity to further develop the offer of these segments and become the backbone of domestic tourism, but he also emphasizes that this will be difficult to achieve without targeted state measures. Croatia is among the world’s leading adventure destinations Data from the “Index of Adventure Tourism Development 2020” also support her thinking. World Adventure Tourism Association (ATTA), according to which Croatia took over this year first place by competitiveness among the top 5 destinations in the region of Eastern Europe and Central Asia, and 11th place among 163 countries in the category of adventure destinations in development. ATTA: ADVENTURE TOURISM DEVELOPMENT INDEX 2020 ANNOUNCED
MARSEILLE, France (Reuters) – Chris Froome all but wrapped up a third consecutive Tour de France triumph as he outpaced his rivals in the penultimate-day time trial won by Maciej Bodnar on Saturday.Last to go, the Team Sky rider was the third quickest of the 167 to tackle the 22.5-km course that started and finished in Marseille’s Velodrome soccer stadium — extending his lead to 54 seconds going into Sunday’s ceremonial ride into Paris.Providing Froome avoids any calamities on the 103-km trek from Montgeron to the capital he will take his Tour haul to four in the last five years — one behind cycling greats Miguel Indurain of Spain, Belgian’s Eddy Merckx and Frenchmen Bernard Hinault and Jacques Anquetil.Froome, 32, goes on to the Tour honour roll as the first person to win three times in a row since Indurain who was unbeatable between 1991-95.American Lance Armstrong won seven Tour titles from 1999-2005 but was later stripped of them for doping.After surviving this week’s Alpine stages Froome arrived in the historic French port with a slender 23-second lead over France’s Romain Bardet but with perfect weather conditions there were no scares as he produced a scorching ride to finish only six seconds behind Pole Bodnar.Michal Kwiatkowski of Team Sky was second, one second behind his fellow Pole.Bardet was roared on by huge crowds on a course that looped around the Vieux Port but he struggled terribly on the steep hill towards the Basilica Notre-Dame and was almost caught by a charging Froome despite the Briton starting two minutes later.Bardet was only 52nd quickest in the time trial but remained one second ahead of Spain’s Mikel Landa in third place in the overall standings. Colombian Rigoberto Uran hit a barrier but moved above Bardet into second place.
Oil spill probeThe Environmental Management Authority (EMA) of Trinidad and Tobago says it is investigating an oil spill that has been spreading across Trinidad’s western coast on the weekend. The agency is appealing to persons with information to assist in the determination of the cause of, and those responsible for, the spill.Environmental nightmareEnvironmentalist and head of the Fisherman and Friends of the Sea (FFOS), Gary Aboud has described the oil spill off the coast of Chaguaramas as an “environmental nightmare” warning it poses a serious threat to both marine and terrestrial ecosystems.“The tide has changed but some of the residual oil remains in the bay. Fish can’t live in that, this is a national park, a Chaguaramas national park,” Aboud told reporters, dipping his hand into the sea to show the magnitude of the oil spill.Big ships discard waste“Every week the big ships discard their waste oil from their bilges and this is what we get,” Aboud said, adding that he feared that such widespread spillage could severely affect local fishing grounds placing consumers at risk of illness.He said that the spill should serve as a wakeup call to those in authority to implement proper legislation and policies as well as stiffer penalties for companies that disregard environmental safety and best practices.The EMA said it was also appealing to people with any information to come forward as investigations continue in identifying the potential source of the oily substance.Aboud also told reporters that “every year the Chaguaramas area suffers from massive oil spills, and no one has ever been prosecuted or fined.”
Former Spokesperson of the Ghana FA and a member of the 2017 AFCON bidding committee, Randy Abbey is optimistic that Ghana will win the bid to host the 2017 football Mundial.Ghana stands tall amongst other seven countries that have bided to host the continent’s biggest football tournament “We have a lot of respect for the countries that have also put in the bid, l think it is going to be very competitive but we believe that we have put together a package that should convince the CAF Executives for us to get the nod,” he told Asempa Sports.The Confederation of African Football (CAF) have announced the final bids following the submission deadline on September 30.Algeria, Egypt, Kenya, Sudan, Zimbabwe and 2012 co-hosts Gabon all submitted their proposals in competition to win the bid to host the continent’s biggest football event.CAF will announce the eventual host in 2015. Ghana co-hosted with Nigeria in 2000 before gaining sole rights in 2008. Libya were scheduled to host the tournament but pulled out due to political instabilities. Meanwhile, the 2015 edition will be hosted in Morocco come early next year.
Facebook0Tweet0Pin0Submitted by City of OlympiaThurston County Roadwork: beginning July 9, B Avenue will be closed to vehicular traffic between Capitol Way N and Columbia Street NW to facilitate the construction of the project located at 503 Capitol Way N. The sidewalk on the north side of B Avenue will remain open for pedestrians.Additionally, rolling closures of sidewalks and parking spaces will also occur along the projects frontages of Capitol Way N, Columbia Street NW and A Avenue as the project progresses. Access will be maintained whenever possible, but certain construction activities will require the closures to ensure public safety. Signage will be provided, as needed, during these times.The street closure is expected to continue until February 2019. Project construction will continue into the spring/summer of 2019.
New year, unfortunately the same result for the Kootenay Ice Major Midget Hockey team.The Okanagan Rockets outscored the Kootenay Ice 14-3 to post a two-game sweep in B.C. Major Midget Hockey League action in Kelowna.The Rockets scored four first period goals en route to a narrow 4-3 win over the Ice in the opening tilt Sunday at the Capital News Centre.Sunday, it was all Rockets as the hosts blasted Kootenay 10-0.Like the Ice has done for the most part of the season the visitors played the opposition tough in the opener.Despite surrendering four first period goals, the Ice did not give up as the club pecked away at the lead.Jake Lucchini of Trail scored singles in the second and third periods to pull Kootenay to within a marker.However, the Ice could not find the equalizer.Castlegar’s Darren Medeiros, with an assist to Lucchini, scored the other goal in the first period for Kootenay.Four different players scored for Okanagan, holding period leads of 4-1 and 4-2.Sunday, the Ice has no answer after the Rockets built up a 4-0 first period lead.Justin Marreck, Parker Bowles and Mitchell Cook each scored twice for the Rockets.The Ice, 1-21-2, now travels to Planet Ice in Coquitlam to face the Greater Vancouver Canadians.The Canadians, 12-9-5, are in a three-way tie for fourth in BCMMHL standings.Kimberley Newell of Nelson was in goal for the [email protected]