USC announces 3.5% tuition hike

first_img“We want to emphasize … that the University will continue to ensure to support financially insecure students,” Stone said. “Whether that’s making sure that any increase in resources is also equally distributed to things like the food pantry, to the Trojan Shelter, to the community house, to the financial aid office, things like that.”  The University will hold an open forum Tuesday to address tuition increases and student well-being, according to an email Interim President Wanda Austin sent to the USC community March 6. The forum will be held from 4 to 5:30 p.m. in the Ronald Tutor Campus Center on the University Park Campus and Aresty Auditorium on the Health Sciences Campus simultaneously via livestream. Stone said he believes it is up to the current and incoming administration to ensure the value of USC’s tuition is maintained and that tuition hikes are justified. Sam Lopez, the assistant vice president of University Advancement Communications at USC, said the University expects a decline in donations this year due to recent events.  Undergraduate Student Government president-elect Trenton Stone, a sophomore majoring in philosophy, said he hopes resources for financially insecure students are maintained as USC’s tuition increases.  In addition to its involvement in the college admissions scandal, USC is currently being sued by 652 plaintiffs regarding former campus gynecologist George Tyndall, who is also being sued for alleged sexual misconduct. In October, the University announced a multi-tier $215 million class action settlement that will get dispersed to Tyndall’s former patients and victims of his abuse.  “There is no issue in USC’s financial soundness, period,” Caruso said.  “Is the cost of a tuition an issue that needs to be solved? Yes, it does,” Caruso said. “And that is a national issue. It is a USC issue and a national issue.”  “The value of a USC degree keeps getting stronger,” Provost Michael Quick said. “By keeping tuition increases low and boosting financial assistance, we are providing a world-class education to a diverse and talented student body who will go on to be the next generation of leaders.”  Two out of three USC students receive some form of financial aid, according to the news release. Since 2008, USC financial aid has increased by 79 percent. USC is the ninth most expensive school in the country for the 2018-19 school year, according to the U.S. News and World Report. The Board of Trustees approved the change, according to the news release. Board of Trustees Chairman Rick Caruso said the tuition increase reflects rising University costs.  The tuition hike is the same as last year’s, which the University said was the lowest since the 1969-70 school year. But, according to previous Daily Trojan reporting, the increase is the lowest since the 2011-12 school year, when tuition increased by 2.11 percent. The average annual tuition increase for private, not-for-profit four-year institutions over the last decade was 2.4 percent, according to the College Board Annual Survey of Colleges.   “If those promises aren’t fulfilled … if the new leadership that comes in doesn’t listen to student voices and continues to allow scandals to happen … then that value will decrease,” Stone said.  The announcement comes less than a week after the FBI released its investigation regarding the largest alleged college admissions bribery scheme in history, of which USC was at the forefront.  “It is important to emphasize that gifts will not be used to pay legal settlements,” Lopez said. “Gifts to USC always have been, and will continue to be, used solely for their intended purpose as stated in the gift agreements or in the designated fund’s guidelines.”  Tuition for undergraduate students at USC will increase to $57,256 for the 2019-20 academic year, the University announced in a press release Monday. That’s an increase of 3.5 percent from this academic year’s tuition of $55,320.  Mia Speier contributed to this report.last_img read more

Trailer parks a mixed blessing for cities

first_imgCommon violations included in reports were: trash piled on the ground; broken windows; unpermitted and ungrounded electrical wiring; gas lines running above ground; and illegal structures. During an inspection at one facility in 2005, workers noted sewage flowing directly from trailers to a puddle on the park’s grounds. “There was, and still is, a concentrated effort to get the owners to comply with health and safety issues,” said El Monte Community Development Director Dante Hall. Owners of the parks found in violation have started to make improvements, although the city had to threaten to take at least one to court, according to Hall and city documents. [email protected] (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2703165Let’s talk business.Catch up on the business news closest to you with our daily newsletter. Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE‘Mame,’ ‘Hello, Dolly!’ composer Jerry Herman dies at 88And most of the parks are not filled with luxurious double- wide manufactured homes. They have trailers: 8-foot-wide, 12- to 40-foot-long trailers, many with the wheels still attached. The 2000 U.S. Census lists about 1,800 mobile living units in the two cities, most of them trailers, according to Clay Hollopeter, director of the Boys & Girls Club San Gabriel Valley. Community activists and city officials agree the parks are a mixed blessing. They provide inexpensive housing, but, due to absentee landlords, tend to degenerate into slums. “If it wasn’t for the trailers, whole families would be on the streets,” Hollopeter said. During inspections in 2004 and 2005, El Monte code enforcement officers listed about 100 violations of building and safety laws each at two parks and about 60 at another, according to records at City Hall. Roommates Isidio Torres and Maria Castillo keep a flowering bush on the patio with a picture of the Virgin Mary hanging from its branches. They say they love the peace and simplicity of their home on Mountain View Road. Torres, a 64-year-old retired machinist, lives in the front 12feet. Castillo lives in the back 12. They are two of an estimated 5,000 to 8,000 residents in El Monte and South El Monte who live in trailers. Due to a quirky zoning law from the 1950s, the two cities share the uncommon distinction of being crammed with small trailer parks. last_img read more

Leeds ‘make approach to sign’ free agent defender

first_img 2 2 A former Genoa player, Polenta represented Nacional in his homeland since first moving on loan in 2014, and then penning permanent terms two years later.However, he played his last game for the Montevideo club on June 10 and his Nacional contract expired at the end of that month. LATEST targets Leeds have reportedly made an approach to sign defender Diego Polenta, who is a free agent following his departure from Nacional last month.Polenta, the 26-year-old, is capable of playing anywhere along the back-line, though his natural position is at centre-back. Capped at various youth levels by Uruguay, he has also been called up by head coach of the senior side, Oscar Tabarez, though is yet to debut for La Celeste. RANKED Polenta played his final game for Nacional last month Various clubs are said to be interested in securing Polenta now he is a free agent, with Ovacion reporting Leeds are one of the teams who have approached the versatile defender.Atlas, of Mexico, and Saudi Arabia’s Al-Ittihad are two other sides believed to have offered Polenta deals, though it is reported he has ‘not yet reached an agreement with any team’. Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January TOP WORK Chelsea confident of beating Man United and Liverpool to Sancho signing Liverpool’s signings under Michael Edwards – will Minamino be the next big hit? The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti LIVING THE DREAM REVEALED Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summer moving on Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ three-way race IN DEMAND Latest transfer news Polenta captained Nacional, and he could still return to the Montevideo club targets It is further stated Polenta could return to Nacional despite the expiration of his contract, as the club do not considering the player’s chapter at Gran Parque Central ‘closed’.last_img read more